Add an Entry
If your apartment lacks a designated entry, create your own with a bookcase. Remove the top shelves and install hooks on the back wall of the bookcase for hanging coats. Add more hooks to the sides of the books case for hanging leashes or umbrellas. Outfit the bottom shelves with baskets and small drawers for storing mittens, sunglasses, and other out-the-door essentials. Add a memo bar from an office supply store to the top of the bookcase as a place to organize reminders.
When it comes to entertaining in your backyard, you can install lighting to ward off the night or you can take advantage of the darkness and break out your custom-built outdoor movie screen. With just a few simple steps and a few simple tools, turn your yard into a home theater to rival the drive-in.
Outdoor rugs are ridiculously expensive and you're often limited to just a few styles. Here's how to make your own runners for your garage out of one cheap outdoor rug, some spray paint, and a vinyl cutting machine!
Vinyl Cutting Machine
1 6x9 outdoor rug
straight edge razor blade
newspaper or cardboard
1. Fold the rug in half lengthwise. Use a piece of chalk to make a line down the center of the rug. Place the rug on a piece of cardboard and cut along the line with the razor blade. Set the rug aside.
2. Choose the word or phrase you want to paint on the rug and use the vinyl cutting machine to cut the letters out of cardstock. Make sure the letters are big enough to make a statement!
3. Position the letters on the rug until you are satisfied with the layout. We used a tape measure to make sure ours were centered on the runner. Spray the back of each letter with spray adhesive and lay them back in place.
4. We wanted the negative space to be the word, so we taped out a rectangle around the outside of our letters and then used ultra-sticky floor protection around the outside of the rectangle so that the rest of the rug would not get covered in paint.
5. Spray paint the open space with your desired color. Keep the can aimed straight down and keep it moving to prevent bleeding under the letters. Remove the floor protection and letters from the rug and you're done! Now on to the second rug!
6. We wanted to create some graphic arrows leading into the house and out of the house. To do this, we broke our rug into six sections. We then measured the center point of each section the top and then used chalk to draw a line to the outside corners of the bottom of the section.
7. Use painters tape along the chalk lines to mark off the arrows. Then, fill in all the open space around the arrows with painters tape so that nothing but the arrows are showing.
8. Spray paint the triangles and let dry. Remove the tape and you just finished your second rug.
You now have two custom rug runners - not bad for an afternoon of work!